The CleanTech Party supports candidates who are devoted to creating a clean economy that works for everyone. From reducing greenhouse gas emissions to accounting for the externality value of solar and wind energy, we press our elected officials to lead and be outspoken on bold climate and cleantech policies that spur economic growth and protect the environment. We can and we must do more. Below are the CleanTech Party’s Principles.
Climate change is the single biggest threat of our time. The CleanTech Party supports candidates who will leave no stone unturned when it comes to supporting policies that reduce carbon emissions, decrease our dependence on fossil fuels, and support new green technologies and sustainable communities.
Climate Change Policies
- Reassert US leadership in Paris Climate Accord
- Implement the Clean Power Plan
- Enact a nation-wide Cap & Trade System or RPS to account for carbon emissions
Solar & Wind
A clean economy future requires investing in and supporting solar & wind. The CleanTech Party supports candidates who will fight to preserve tax credits for solar+wind development, accelerate utility-scale and distributed solar+wind and invest in renewable energy deployment. These policies support America’s 250,000 renewable energy workers.
- Support the federal Solar Investment Tax Credit
- Support the federal Wind Production Tax Credit
- Advocate for community solar
- Support expanding energy storage
Pollution & Carbon Reduction
We support candidates who support putting a price on environmental externalities like carbon and other greenhouse gas emissions. Even though cap and trade legislation passed the House in 2010, it failed to pass the Senate. In 2015, President Obama initiated the Clean Power Plan, which Trump and his EPA have been trying to undo. We need bold leaders who will stand up to Trump and advocate for the Clean Power Plan, Paris Climate Accord, and rational environmental policies.
Pollution and Carbon Reduction Policies
- Reassert US Leadership in the Paris Climate Accord
- Implement the Clean Power Plan
- Enact market-based solutions to pollution and carbon emissions
With the success in reducing carbon emissions from power plants, transportation is now the largest source of carbon emissions in CA. The CleanTech Party supports candidates who will advocate for investments in public transportation and electric vehicles, and support policies that lead to more walkable communities, transit oriented development and alternative modes of transportation, like cycling, bus, rail and ride sharing. California’s next generation of leaders in Congress must advocate for stronger vehicle fuel efficiency and carbon pollution standards.
- Maintain aggressive fuel efficiency standards
- Implement clean fuel standards to wean ourselves from fossil fuels
- Support EV infrastructure funding
Climate change disproportionately affects low income communities. We must work to ensure that all communities have access to safe drinking water, clean air and open spaces.
Environmental Justice Policy
- Introduce a version of the Environmental Justice Act of 2017 (SB 1996 Cory Booker) in the House.
- Reduce local source pollution through clean and and water programs in areas like the Central Valley of California
Diversifying our energy portfolio also means creating jobs and expanding our economy. Now is the time to invest in our clean economy future by supporting industries that will create new jobs while moving away from fossil fuels. This will save consumers money and encourage more sustainable choices. The CleanTech Party supports candidates who will advance sound economic policies to spur growth, productivity, and innovation.